At ACES, our team is proud to offer a wide range of supportive services, therapies, and more for families and individuals with autism. If you have a young child and suspect they may have autism, our team is here to help with our early intervention programs designed to help you and your child navigate the world and maximize your potential! At each stage of development, potential signs of autism may manifest, and an early diagnosis can help set you and your child up for success! Keep reading to learn more about the milestones a child will experience between birth and two months of age.
Adaptive and Cognitive Milestones
These skills relate to how your baby is adapting to the world around them and the beginning stages of cognitive development.
- Coordinated feeding from breast or bottle nipple
- Opens mouth when seeing breast or bottle nipple
- Pays attention to faces
- Begins to follow objects or movements with eyes and recognize people at a distance
- Begins to act bored by crying or being fussy if activity or stimulation doesn’t change
Language, Communication, Social and Emotional Milestones
These milestones indicate growing skills that will help your baby get the care, attention, or items they want. These milestones also relate to how well your baby is able to interact with others around them.
- Coos, makes gurgling sounds
- Turns head toward sounds
- Begins to smile at people
- Can briefly calm himself (may bring hands to mouth and suck on hand)
- Tries to look at parent or caregiver
As your baby grows, he or she will gain muscle and learn how to move their body in meaningful or productive ways, as well as gain control over their movements. These milestones can mark that growth.
- Can hold head up and begins to push up when lying on tummy
- Makes smoother movements with arms and legs
If your child is visibly having issues with the above-listed milestones, doesn’t respond to stimuli like loud sounds and movements around them, or they don’t seem to be developing physically, our team is here to help! We offer assessments, programs, and therapies to help you and your child grow and achieve the greatest potential!